Clemens Center Guest Services Supervisor
- Position: Guest Services Supervisor
- Term: Permanent Full Time
- Number of Positions: 1
- Application Deadline: May 10, 2021
- Job Start Date: June 2021
- Job Location: Clemens Center, Elmira, NY
To provide guest supervision and operations skills & expertise to the Facilities Department enabling the Clemens Center’s scheduled events and activities to be conducted in a safe, efficient, and professional manner. To promote an environment that ensures patrons and other visitors feel welcomed to the Center, and that they have an all-around positive experience before, during, and after an event.
House Supervision during Events
- Implement organization policies and procedures as they relate to front of house operations involving public events/ activities pre-set house for opening: audience control ropes, check for safety hazards in aisles and stairs
- Coordinate special seating requirements, wheelchair locations, reserved rows or sections
- Assign roles for volunteers appropriate to their skill level and training development needs.
- Coordinate FOH security personnel assignments with tour management
- Coordinate house open and curtain times with stage management
- Conduct meeting with ushers and ticket takers prior to house open and as otherwise needed
- Supervise seating of patrons, resolve seating problems, and signal curtain times in lobby
- Coordinate response to FOH medical emergencies
- Maintain and update FOH manual
- Organize playbill/program distribution including program inserts as required.
Catering and Artists Services
- Execute contractual requirements of touring artists for Center presentations
- Identify requirements for catering, hospitality, dressing room amenities, backstage security personnel, runners, and secure appropriate caterers, vendors, and security staff, and coordinate the fulfillment of these requirements by working in teamwork with other members of the Facilities Department,
- Coordinate lobby equipment set-up with Facilities Coordinator or Stage Management
- Assist outside users of the Center requiring catering and artist services by identifying available equipment and reviewing procedures for set-up and clean-up.
- Ensure that catering supplies are on site and properly stored.
- Facilitate sales of merchandise by touring artist’s personnel or agents (T-shirts, CDs, DVDs, books, etc.)
- Advance contact with tour merchandiser to ensure compliance with NY sales tax
- Communicate State tax requirements and confirm negotiated house percentages in artist contracts.
- Coordinate location of merchandise on premises, including any storage or prep space needed
- Coordinate settlement with merchandise vendors following performance(s) and prepare bank deposit of Clemens Center’s commission
- Maintain DTF 728, 729PC, and 730 documents with NY state tax authority and venue records.
- Organize and maintain a corps of volunteer ushers, ticket takers, and patron services personnel, who provide oversight of: Facility Tour Programs, Coat Check Services, Assisted Listening Device Loan Program, Accessibility Corps (*), Passenger Loading Zone, & Lost & Found.
- Recruit and train volunteers, maintain volunteer work details for shifts and roles worked, periodically review and maintain policies and procedures involving FOH staff
- Communicate FOH staffing needs based upon event schedule, and maintain schedule and attendance of volunteer staff
- Establish and maintain volunteer recognition program to reward outstanding customer service
- Oversee the safety and security of the volunteer group
(*) The purpose of an Accessibility Corps is to provide additional service to guests with disabilities.
Non- Performance Activities
- Coordinating with Director of Facilities, provide staff coverage for building activities including rehearsals, private parties, meetings, etc.
- Open and close facility (door locks, lights. HVAC (in MH) during the activity’s contracted access times
- Coordinate with activity sponsor(s) to provide equipment (chairs, tables, etc.) and supervise use of facilities and equipment
- Coordinate historical tours of the building during “dark” days and over the summer.
- Coordinate scheduling, parking arrangements, and any set-ups or amenities for such tours
- Provide active participation in Organization’s fundraising activities that take place on premises.
General Administrative duties
Data Input, Accounting and Reporting Functions:
- Maintain written (paper and/or computerized) records of all work activities.
Staff Supervision Function
- Conduct one-on-one training annually for volunteers and ensure annual anti-sexual harassment training is completed per NYS requirements
- Ensure work is completed in a timely and economical fashion.
Physical Plant and Safety
- Ensure equipment is maintained in safe and clean conditions.
- Be aware of and comply with contract requirements and customers’ needs such as security and safety.
Contacts with Others
- Communicate volunteer performance concerning work expectations.
- Handle all customer contacts with the utmost professionalism.
- Create a learning environment, allowing the organization to meet future challenges.
- Provide the necessary resources to volunteers enabling them to perform their work
- Represent the Clemens Center in a professional manner to businesses we serve and to potential customers, and exhibit a “Lead by Example” work ethic.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- The person in this position will display the ability to learn and master any and all workflow systems, computerized or otherwise, in use by Clemens Center throughout their employment.
- The person in this position exhibits conscientiousness, dedication, self-discipline, and a sense of responsibility.
- The person in this position can work independently with limited supervision, take initiative and prioritize multiple assignments with attention to detail and deadlines in a high volume, stressful environment.
- The person in this position can establish effective relationships and work in a team environment to meet team and company goals.
- The person in this position has knowledge of Microsoft Office software
- The person in this position has good written and verbal communication skills, possesses leadership skills and an ability to get along with others.
- This position requires excellent customer service and the ability to exhibit poise, clarity, and self-control in stressful, ambiguous, or emotionally demanding situations.
- Maintain current basic first-aid credentials including use of AED
- Technical Capacity.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
- Collaboration Skills.
- Communication Proficiency, including confident, efficient use of 2-way radios.
- Customer Service Skills
- Time Management.
- Decision Making.
- Organization Skills.
- Cash handling skills
- Ability and license to drive a passenger vehicle
- Ability to use a two-way radio
- Ability to operate ticket verification and counting devices
This job operates in a professional office environment, but must also be prepared to function in a working backstage environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and fax machines, as well as 2 ways radios.
POSITION TYPE AND ANTICIPATED HOURS
This is a permanent, non-exempt position. Days and hours of work will vary based on the needs and schedule of the Clemens Center, however a certain number of fixed Office Hours are to be expected and adhered to. This position is budgeted to compensate the employee for between 1840 and 2080 straight time hours per year, and is considered full time with regard to the Affordable Care Act.
Limited travel to purchase supplies, or as directed by Supervisor. Must maintain valid driver’s license and have reliable, registered and insured transportation at the employee’s disposal.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA in Theater preferred)
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in theatre operations, restaurant or other hospitality
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with volunteers
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Other duties as assigned.
This position requires being on one’s feet, walking, and climbing steps for hours at a time. Must be able to lift 10 lbs. regularly, up to 20 lbs. occasionally. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- How to Apply: Fax, Mail, Email
- Application Details: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume with 3 work references by May 10 to email@example.com. Mailed or faxed documents also accepted.